Do you pay taxes in the State of Illinois?
The State of Illinois created a tax credit scholarship program through the “Invest in Kids” Act that is mutually beneficial to students and donors. It provides a 75 percent Illinois State income tax credit to individuals who contribute money to fund scholarships for students to attend private schools. Eligible students from low-income families in Illinois may use these scholarships to attend a non-public school of their choice, including the more than 150 Archdiocese of Chicago Catholic schools in Cook and Lake Counties. This is a unique opportunity for Archdiocese of Chicago Catholic schools. We encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity to use their tax liability to help Sacred Heart School. We are grateful to all who support the advancement of Catholic school education.
MATCHING GIFT OPPORTUNITY FOR TAX CREDIT SCHOLARSHIP DONATIONS
To increase the funds available for scholarships next year, several donors have partnered with the scholarship granting organization Empower Illinois and the Archdiocese of Chicago to create a matching gift pool.
· Every dollar donated to this program through Empower Illinois between Dec. 1, 2022 and March, 2023 and designated to a school operated by the Archdiocese of Chicago will be matched with one dollar from this pool (limitations apply). The program will end when all matching funds have been depleted or on March, 2023, whichever comes first.
· A $5,000 donation will have a tremendous impact. With the 75 percent tax credit you receive on the donation and this match, it will have a net cost to you of $1,250 and will provide $10,000 in scholarships for low-income families.
· After April 1, 2023, any matching gift program funds that are not awarded at a designated school will be reallocated to low-income students at schools with unmet demand.
· Donors who would like to receive the tax credit for their 2022 taxes should begin the process prior to Dec. 15, 2022 to ensure they have enough time to make their gift by Dec. 31, 2022.
We also want to share with you this message from Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, archbishop of Chicago, regarding the importance of the tax credit scholarship program. Please click here to watch Cardinal's Cupich message.
We hope you will join us in supporting Archdiocese of Chicago Catholic schools and provide more children a quality Catholic school education. For more information, please contact Veronica Verdi at
What is the process for donating?
Individual and corporate donors can reserve tax credits through mytax.illinois.gov by following these steps:
- Create a MyTax Illinois account on mytax.illinois.gov. Anyone applying for a scholarship tax credit is required to have an account. If you do not have one, the first step is requesting a Letter ID from the Illinois Department of Revenue.
- CLICK HERE for step-by-step instructions on how to request a Letter ID.
- CLICK HERE for step-by-step instructions on how to activate your tax account.
- Apply for a tax credit on mytax.illinois.gov. Donors will need to provide the following information:
- Region to which he/she plans to donate
- Name of SGO to which he/she plans to donate (the Archdiocese is partnering with Empower Illinois)
- Amount he/she plans to donate
- CLICK HERE for step-by-step instructions on how to apply for the credit
- Donate to the SGO within 60 days of receiving your application approval and the Contribution Authorization Certificate.
- Designate the donation to Sacred Heart School (Chicago).
- Contribution Authorization Certificate
- Provide certificate from the SGO to use tax credit when filing a 2021 return in 2022.